On June 1, 2018, New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy signed the “Out-of-network Consumer Protection, Transparency, Cost Containment and Accountability Act” into law. The law contains a number of provisions which will have a serious impact on all licensed New Jersey healthcare providers, as well as healthcare facilities such as Ambulatory Surgical Centers (ASCs). Many medical practices and healthcare facilities have excellent internal controls ensuring that patients understand their financial commitments, and believe that nothing additional is needed to comply with the new law. However, the new law contains very specific requirements that are non-intuitive. It is likely that compliance with the new law will not be difficult if practices and facilities follow some basic guidelines.
The Act is scheduled to become effective on August 30, 2018.
Frier Levitt is assisting both medical practices and healthcare facilities (e.g., ASCs, imaging centers) with multi-stage compliance plans on a flat fee basis, depending upon the size and complexity of your practice or facility. Services include:
- Identification of a practice’s or facility’s current areas of vulnerability under the law
- Preparation of a Compliance Memorandum which will take into account risks a practice and/or facility may encounter following implementation of the new law and provide customized recommendations on how compliance can be achieved, with your business needs in mind
- Preparation of legally compliant Out-of-Network Disclosure Forms for practices and facilities, along with periodic updates based on any guidance released following the law’s implementation
- Review of a practice’s or facility’s company website regarding compliance with the law
- Training of practitioners and staff via telephone or video conference
Contact Frier Levitt today to speak to an attorney regarding becoming compliant with New Jersey’s new Out-of-Network Law.